Renewable Energy & Onsite Generation
As costs of electricity, aging infrastructure, and lack of grid reliability continue to increase, organizations need to consider long-term solutions such as renewable energy and microgrids to meet cost reduction, reliability, and sustainability goals. However, executives and directors are not experts in these technologies and may not be able to provide optimum design, operational, contractual, and economic expertise. Equally important is having experts on your side to negotiate customer centric contract language and terms.
A Few Things to Consider:
- With a myriad of traditional and developing technologies, which is best for your facility?
- What are the up and coming technologies?
- What is the standard cost per kilowatt hour of the available options?
- What financing mechanism makes the most sense?
- What contract terms and conditions would adversely affect me if not revised?
- How does changing federal and state legislation affect my planning?
- How do you apply onsite generation to a campus undergoing master planning?
Ecom-Energy analyzes the technical, financing, operational, and cost characteristics of renewable energy and onsite generation technologies through competitive RFP’s. Our team will assess the sensitivity and variations in key assumptions to make sure your leadership is comfortable with the long-term commitment. Additionally, we bring contracting best practices from our numerous cogeneration (CHP), solar PV, fuel cell, battery storage, and EV Charging contracting experience.
As an objective energy consulting firm, we have no ties to any specific technology or vendor – only to the customer. We will verify if a project makes sense and, just as importantly, if it doesn’t.
Due to Ecom-Energy's Involvement
Ecom-Energy’s Renewable Energy & Onsite Generation services include:
- Understanding Market Trends & Vendors
- As an energy ally to national organizations for decades, Ecom-Energy is keenly aware of market trends, new technologies, reputable vendors, and common pitfalls.
- Preliminary Assessments
- Detailed Feasibility Studies
- Developed as an investment-grade report, these can serve as the bid specification document to be used during RFPs and show the true impact of a technology.
- RFP Development & Management
- Ecom-Energy will select suppliers and develop, issue, and manage the RFP.
- Objective Bid Evaluations
- Ecom-Energy ensures an apples-to-apples look at all bids and verifies inputs and assumptions are in line with historical data and customer preference.
- Financing, Rebates, & Incentives
- Contract Negotiation with Industry-Standard Terms
- Ecom-Energy works on your behalf to negotiate and ensure favorable terms and conditions for your facility. Do not overlook the impact of a properly negotiated contract!
- Owner’s Representative Services
- o After a contract has been awarded, Ecom-Energy’s owner’s reps sit on your side of the table to oversee project and contract obligations during design, construction, installation, and commissioning. For example, is the vendor installing the same model solar panel it agreed to under contract? Our team ensures that the project progresses as planned.
As part of Prime Healthcare’s Sustainable Resource Initiative, Desert Valley Hospital installed a 742 kW solar PV array. The simple payback was 3.16 years.
Rising Costs: Clever California Utilities
As renewable energy and energy efficiency projects grow, California’s largest utilities have been forced to offset revenue reduction in creative ways.
Their solution? Adjust rate schedules to derive the bulk of their revenue from demand (kW) charges instead of generation (kWh) fees.
Renewable energy and onsite generation technologies can help mitigate these constantly rising costs to ensure your facility has a long-term solution for energy management.
Average Demand Charge Increase
Fuel Cell Portfolio
As part of Prime Healthcare’s Sustainable Resource Initiative, Sherman Oaks Hospital, San Dimas Community Hospital, Paradise Valley Hospital, and Montclair Hospital Medical Center installed a combined 1.45 MW of all-electric, solid oxide fuel cells.
Avoids annual GHG emissions equivalent to 200 passenger vehicles.
Reducing Carbon Footprint
Achieves an 18% carbon footprint reduction in this portfolio.
Renewable Energy Professionals
Ecom-Energy’s expert staff includes Certified Renewable Energy Professionals (REP™) as certified by the Association of Energy Engineers.